Google

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Health



What a way to start the New Year! Apparently, we both caught something in LA or on the train, because we both felt like crap today. Initially I thought it was the crappy food I ate, but after a second day of feeling like this, I knew it was something else.

One of the best things about my job is I have the ability to take paid sick time, no questions asked - so long as I don't take advantage of it, if you know what I mean. It's also a benefit that I totally take for granted. I don't think about the millions of people who don't have this benefit. If I get sicker, I don't have to think twice about going to the doctor because I have very good health benefits.

I am so fortunate, yet it angers me that we have to fight so that everyone has the same coverage that I have - that somehow it's a privilege, or that by giving everyone access to affordable health care it will diminish the benefits and care for those who already have care. How selfish are we?

On New Years Eve, we had dinner and drinks at a vegan restaurant in Burbank. We had the pleasure of talking with the owner and his wife for an extended period of time. The one thing that stuck with me was that he pays for health insurance for his employees. His rationale? It's the right thing to do! He also believes that long term it will give him the opportunity to retain employees, saving him the money of training new workers. Of course, it also keeps his employees healthier, saving the added cost of lost work hours.

So I'll do my best to be back in the game tomorrow -- no promises though!

No comments: